Tuesday, December 8, 2009

My Christmas Tree Has Fallen And I Don't Feel Like Picking It Up


If I hear one more person exclaim that they put on weight during the holidays I am going to ask them if pounds have been added to their ego. My idea of celebrating the twelve days of Christmas this year involves hibernating with Evan Williams egg nog. Tis' the season to be in a very bad mood. I'm just not feeling it this year which brings me to thoughts of the best Christmas ever.

Throughout the years we had always spent Christmas day with my grandmother, however, one year she was missing because we did not want to drag her out of her glorified nursing home. Poor Granny. She was so old that she ran out of breath moving from the living room to the dining room table. We were eating lunch and my father came up with the greatest idea ever. He thought we should get in the car and drive to New Orleans. Now he was speaking my language! So we all piled in the car and jetted off to the "Big Easy". Once we got there we walked around in the cold rain for what seemed like a lifetime looking for a place that was open. Yes, it was Christmas day, but it was New Orleans. They say that New York City is the city that never sleeps, but whoever coined that phrase has never been to New Orleans. We finally found a supper club that was open. We ate dinner and listened to jazz. After leaving the restaurant we went back to our hotel if you can call it that. The only hotel my father could find was a Ramada in the French Quarter that needed some serious help. Remodeling in progress. Really? I felt as if I was in an Alfred Hitchcock movie. While taking a shower I honestly feared that I would be stabbed over and over and over. As all good things have to come to an end, we woke up the next morning and Christmas was over and I didn't have to think about it again. As I reflect on this trip I realize that this Christmas too shall pass.

Bah Cockroach!

No comments:

Post a Comment