Friday, August 7, 2009

Let's Not Get Married: Eluding The Highly Overrated Fairy Tale Wedding



As a blossoming young girl who had her own visions of the big, obnoxious wedding that she would have one day, I was dragged to countless weddings. I actually looked forward to them, because during each wedding I attended, I exclaimed to myself, "THAT'S MY DRESS"! Looking back, I picked out some pretty tacky dresses for myself. I really actually went for the cake, because I certainly did not go for the pastel mints that resembled mini mounds of soap. That was when cake was good. It was full of sugar and nobody was worried about their health or their weight. We had Olivia Newton-John and her "Let's Get Physical" video to thank for that. Once the cake was eaten, it was forgotten, but not those little napkins that I walked away with. I had quite the collection of personalized napkins commemorating the nuptials. These little napkins would later help me wipe my tears when the divorce was final. Like a fine bottle of wine, the personalized items that we walk away with from weddings have only gotten better. I recently went to a beach wedding where they were bestowing personalized koozies upon their guests. Now everytime I want to remember that dreadful day that I walked away with sand in my eyes, mouth, panties, etc. I can pop a beer in my personalized wedding koozie and sit back and enjoy the memories as if I were watcing them on video. The koozie will also come in handy when it is time to toast the divorce.

Don't be mistaken, I am all about getting married if you find the right person. I have just lost that lovin' feeling for the desire to have a big wedding which will only produce an incurable migraine and a mountain of debt. Not all of us live in Jersey where people give you cash as a gift. BTW, tres tacky. A big wedding or any wedding where there are more people involved than the bride and the groom is like throwing any other party. You pay for everything and your main mission is to entertain your guests. Not to mention, you are completely stressed out anticipating that everything will go well. There is alot more involved in a wedding than some chips and dip and a few people at a house party.

It is not the wedding that is important. It is the marriage. Think about what is important to you. If all you want is a big party with cake and a dress, you don't have to get married for that. Just buy a nice Diane Von Furstenberg dress and a pair of Christian Louboutin's and slip them on. There are plenty of family reunions that you could crash in Alabama. As far as the cake goes, I can guarantee that they will have at least two types of cake...Coconut and Red Velvet.

So, what are you waiting for? Elope and diffuse any thoughts of being a bridezilla. Fake your wedding planner's death if you must. Invest your energy in to planning your life with the person you are going to marry and not the "big day", because the average couple has about 18,250 days to be concerned with.

2 comments:

  1. I like ca$h, lol! Interesting - I like the part about how as a you become a lady you start dreaming about ur future hubby & wedding, at some point, every girl goes thru that :) Only time tells if that wish eventually comes to fruiction... But there is always hope, so, Im holding on 2 that- I tell my friends & family that the 1st didnt work out, but Im not ready 2 give up, not just yet!...
    BTW I started blogging too, but have not made mine public 4 now. It's a fun to release and express your thoughts thru writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To sound like a broken record, you will find the right person when you least expect it. It usually occurs when you have given up and just don't seem to care. When you find that person, you start to care and realize what you were missing.

    ReplyDelete